The wet is one of the most spectacular times of the year for Darwin residents.
Here are our top tips to help you be prepared in the event of a cyclone. After all, we all know how crazy the season can be, but by adhering to these tips, you’ll definitely save yourself a lot of stress.
• Turn off your irrigation system: We would advise to turn off your irrigation systems during the wet as there is no need to leave it on we get more than enough rain and we want to keep our dams and catchments full for the dry so we don’t get water restrictions put into place.
• Tidy up the garden: While you’re in the garden be sure to trim tree tops and branches so that they are not near your home or your neighbour’s home, as they can become missiles if the wind picks up.
• Clear and secure any loose items: Things such as barbeques, dog kennels, trampolines, tables and chairs and any other items commonly found in the backyard will turn into a missile if left untouched.
• Familiarise yourself with your local cyclone shelter: If we receive any warnings about the weather a good idea is to find your nearest cyclone shelter, whether it’s under the shopping centre or even in your own home.
• Prepare your emergency kit: Always have an emergency kit handy and filled with a few days’ of food and water, and of course First Aid items such as band aids, bandages and paracetamol.
• Prepare your home for having pets inside: Keep your pets indoor during wild weather, and if evacuating make provisions for their transportation.
For more tips and preparations on cyclone season head to http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Emergency-service/public-safety-advice/